Library cards are available at no charge to the following:
- Residents of Forsyth County
- Property or business owners in Forsyth County
- Employees of Forsyth County government
- Currently enrolled students or employees of any public or private educational institution in Forsyth County
Applicants must provide documentation that shows identity and current address to receive a library card.
Preferred: photo ID with current address, such as a driver's license or U.S passport.
Acceptable: ID without a photo such as birth certificate, along with proof of address.
Proof of address may include one or more of the following items:
- Recent utility bill
- Rental receipt
- Forsyth County property tax receipt
- Current automobile insurance card
- Voter registration card
- Printed checks showing current address
In order to receive an out-of-county library card at no charge, some applicants may need to provide additional documentation:
- County and school employees must present ID verifying current employment.
- Property owners must present evidence of ownership or be identified as the owner in the County's online property tax database.
- Business owners must present photo ID and a current Forsyth County business license showing that the business is located in Forsyth County.
A library card may be obtained at any age. If the applicant is under 18, a parent or guardian's approval is required. Anyone who is not eligible for a free library card may obtain an out-of-county library card for an annual fee of $60.00.
Online Library Card Application
A 21-day temporary library card number, good for using most online resources from home as well as for placing up to three holds on library materials, may be obtained by filling out the online library card application. To check out materials, or to continue using online resources beyond the 21-day temporary period, applicants must appear in person at a library branch and present proof of identification and residency in order to receive a permanent library card number.